A recent challenge occurred while helping another student with Algebra homework. It seems like many students in this program struggle with Algebra. The students appear to have few problem solving skills. Our text book describes intercultural competence and some of the behaviors needed to demonstrate understanding. Empathy is one such behavior. The student I was working with had trouble figuring out her assignment. I could empathize with her as I once struggled with the same concepts. When someone showed me how to create a number line strategy, I found success. This strategy was shared with the student. The smile on the student’s face was rewarding. I feel like the time spent is rewarding, again, the affiliation of students in the program. Their behaviors convey closeness and encouragement by each other.
Sunday, November 3, 2013
Finding Ways to Conquer the Challenges of Algebra
As I am volunteering in the ELL program at Rock Island High
School, many of the tasks and assignments that I assist students with bring
back fond memories of my high school days. I can identify with them – not
understanding an assignment has its set of challenges – I am feeling more
comfortable interacting with the students.
A recent challenge occurred while helping another student with Algebra homework. It seems like many students in this program struggle with Algebra. The students appear to have few problem solving skills. Our text book describes intercultural competence and some of the behaviors needed to demonstrate understanding. Empathy is one such behavior. The student I was working with had trouble figuring out her assignment. I could empathize with her as I once struggled with the same concepts. When someone showed me how to create a number line strategy, I found success. This strategy was shared with the student. The smile on the student’s face was rewarding. I feel like the time spent is rewarding, again, the affiliation of students in the program. Their behaviors convey closeness and encouragement by each other.
A recent challenge occurred while helping another student with Algebra homework. It seems like many students in this program struggle with Algebra. The students appear to have few problem solving skills. Our text book describes intercultural competence and some of the behaviors needed to demonstrate understanding. Empathy is one such behavior. The student I was working with had trouble figuring out her assignment. I could empathize with her as I once struggled with the same concepts. When someone showed me how to create a number line strategy, I found success. This strategy was shared with the student. The smile on the student’s face was rewarding. I feel like the time spent is rewarding, again, the affiliation of students in the program. Their behaviors convey closeness and encouragement by each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment