The ELL classroom had a lack of consistency when the primary
teacher was not present which occurred 3 times during my 12 volunteer sessions.
The expectations present with the regular teacher were not there with
substitute teachers and little was accomplished. Structure and consistency are
important to promote learning across all cultures.
Language ability to speak and understand makes a huge
difference in grasping concepts in school. Understanding the meaning of words
is a daily struggle. Nonverbal communication often portrays the emotions,
especially when frustration builds. Body language is another way in which
emotions are displayed. The student who did not grasp the concept of using a
book to find answers slumped in her chair as she spent the better part of a
week trying to figure out the human growth and development packet.
As the result of this service learning project, I know I
will be more sensitive to those who are non-English speaking. I will find ways
to understand where they are and how I can best help them without taking over.
Patience is an important virtue and I realize I need to conscientiously monitor
my patience with others when they take longer to complete a task. I also
recognize that I must try to understand the experience they have had and ensure
I understand their perspective –whether it is in the form of verbal, nonverbal,
display of emotions or when all else fails pantomime. My ability to interpret
will help predict the quality of the communication. Occupational Therapists,
the career I am pursuing, spend a great deal of time in interpersonal
communication and this experience will help immensely as I communicate and
attempt to understand others with diverse backgrounds. I will fondly recall
assisting students in the ELL classroom and transfer that experience to
interpersonal communication opportunities in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment